[PD] "get" method for Pd

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Fri Nov 18 22:02:17 CET 2011

On Nov 18, 2011, at 3:44 PM, Jonathan Wilkes wrote:

>> Jonathan's
>> most

>> [absattr]

>> the
>> instance(s).

>> version-- the

>> I'd be

>> message.

>> approach.  Why
>>>
>>> Because if you want to get n data about pd (or from a canvas) you have
>>> to have n objects.  One of my biggest pains in Pd comes when I need to
>>> map keys to, say, midi numbers-- if you use [route 32 12 56 32 etc.]
>> connected
>>> to however many message boxes, it's a lot of patching work to do
>> something
>>> very simple.  So if I had a patch that needed many of your objects above,
>>> it's a pain.
>>
>> I don't see how typing the message boxes for the send/receive approach is
>> really much less typing and patching than the single object approach. And it
>> does make the patch a lot more readable.  As for your [route] example, that
>> doesn't quite seem related.  You can also do programmatic matching using
>> [select], and other approaches.

>>> I'm not wild about the interface of some of the iemguts objects-- one
>> of them
>>> differentiates between "list" and "bang" to trigger
>> different behavior, and
>>> the level for [sendcanvas] isn't settable.
>>
>> Yes the depth should be settable, that should be possible to add, not a lot of
>> work.  Which differentiates between list and bang?
>
> canvasargs I think.
>
>> That can make sense
>> depending on the context.
>
> Name another object in the history of Pd that (purposefully) does that.

I don't really see what you mean in canvasargs.  [+] behaves differently when given a bang or a list.  Bang outputs the current result again, and a list of two numbers sets two new values to add and outputs the result.

.hc

> -Jonathan
>

>> .hc
>>

>>> -Jonathan

>> the
>> object
>> that's just

>> why
>> "pd-".)
>> gpointers with
>> attributes will

>> with an

>> whatever way
>> functionality
>> to make
>> date then
>> the

>> things here:
>> t_canvas
>> (nogui,
>> that are
>> for global

>> with live

>> If nature has made any one thing less susceptible than all others of exclusive
>> property, it is the action of the thinking power called an idea, which an
>> individual may exclusively possess as long as he keeps it to himself; but the
>> moment it is divulged, it forces itself into the possession of everyone, and the
>> receiver cannot dispossess himself of it.            - Thomas Jefferson

All mankind is of one author, and is one volume; when one man dies, one chapter is not torn out of the book, but translated into a better language; and every chapter must be so translated.... -John Donne