[PD] pd_free vs canvas_vis

Ivica Ico Bukvic ico at vt.edu
Sat Nov 19 17:39:03 CET 2011

I guess this is mainly for the Pd devs,

Jonathan and I have been working on trying to have patch close itself
through the script. However, even in the newest Pd the problem persists
in that if one invokes menuclose via patch it crashes pd. I suspect this
is because the closure happens while Pd is still traversing the tree and
then trips up on newly deallocated memory pool invoked by the pd_free.

Initially, I designed a workaround where pd_free is enqueued on the
guiqueue and invoked a bit later ensuring that it is called after the
tree navigation has ended. This works in most cases but not all.
Intermittently this will crash Pd when using Jonathan's Nav abstraction
which closes the current patch and also opens a new patch (navigation
abstraction would be used to go between help files always keeping only
one patch open at a time). Attached is Jonathan's abstraction.

So, now I started investigating further and it seems that
canvas_vis(x,0) closes the patch without any problems and without having
to delay anything but this is not enough in and of itself to actually
deallocate the actual t_canvas x and other instantiated objects
associated with the canvas. So, how could one go about to implement this
feature?

Ico