[PD] "get" method for Pd

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Mon Nov 21 23:02:07 CET 2011

Le 2011-11-21 à 22:09:00, IOhannes m zmoelnig a écrit :

> and i argue that it's a bad idea to introduce whitespace as namespace
> delimiter in a language that already uses whitespace as token/atom
> separator.

It's good if you want to implement the new functionality as one big class
while pretending that it's many small classes to people who want that ;)

> i cannot remember any other complang, that uses whitespace as namespace
> delimiter, most likely because virtually all languages already use
> whitespace to separate tokens.

Tcl has two different namespace mechanisms, the ::-separated one, called
«namespaces» actually were introduced after the space-separated one, which
is called «ensembles» nowadays. Space is also a token-separator in Tcl,
and this makes the function name be the first argument of the call to the
ensemble that is posing as a function. That's just like in Pd. I think Tcl
has had that for about 20 years.