[PD] audio to arduino to PD, back to audio

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Tue Nov 29 00:53:51 CET 2011

An analog input on an Arduino is a poor Analog-to-Digital Convertor compared to audio ADCs.  Its 10-bit, and not more than 16kHz max (more like 4kHz) sampling rate.  Standard digital audio is 16-bit/44.1kHz.

Then, having your Arduino read at 4kHz will require all of the CPU time, so it can't really do much else then.

.hc

On Nov 28, 2011, at 5:09 PM, onyx at onyx-ashanti.com wrote:

> Greetings.  I wanted to see if something is possible.
>
> I realized that most of my vocalizations in my system are for the vocoder.  I am trying not to add too much to the hardware configuration of my system so i have been entertaining the idea of using an electret microphone amplified to send its signal to an analog pin on my arduino then transmit that into pure data. I would like to have the frequencies register as voltages.  i do not know if this is possible. I dont know much about the mechanics of how this process would work but i theorize that i should be able to create a means of converting the PWM signal from the arduino, back to something audio-ish, in PD.  any insight would be much appreciated.
>
> Onyx
>
> --
> Help me build the sickest live performance system ever!
> www.indiegogo.com/beatjazzsystem
> www.onyx-ashanti.com
> Germany+49 176 3543 7859

Man has survived hitherto because he was too ignorant to know how to realize his wishes.  Now that he can realize them, he must either change them, or perish.    -William Carlos Williams