[PD] OOP practices in Pure Data

Jonathan Wilkes jancsika at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 30 19:07:18 CET 2011

Some OOP stuff related to Pd is addressed here:
http://artengine.ca/~catalogue-pd/43-Bouchard.pdf

For sharing the same $0: I think my canvas "get" method addresses that.  There are probably several ways one

could do it.  I already have a [send2canvas n] abstraction where n is a float that sets where in the canvas hierarchy

to send to-- so maybe I could also add the possibility to specify a symbolic arg, like [send2canvas foo] so that

[send2canvas] climbs the canvas hierarchy until the "filename" attribute for that canvas is foo.pd.  Sending

"get dollarzero" to [send2canvas foo] would output the $0 of the container "foo" abstraction, if it exists.

Then you'd have:
* [send2canvas 0] -> local to "this" canvas

* [send2canvas foo] -> use this to get a common $0 for some arbitrary level of nested abstractions
* [send pd-foo.pd] -> send to all instances of "foo" abstraction + any open as toplevel patches

I imagine [send2canvas foo] as I've just outlined could easily get confused with [send pd-foo.pd], so maybe there's

a better way to make the difference more explicit.

-Jonathan