[PD] GEM's minimum requirements

Nicola Pandini nicola.pandini at gmail.com
Thu Dec 1 09:39:55 CET 2011

Il 30/11/2011 17:08, Nicola Pandini ha scritto:
> Hi list!
> I'm trying to use an old laptop with a Celeron 2,6Ghz to playback some
> videos with a basic GEM chain (pix_film, pix_gain, pix_texture), but
> the performances are very poor.
> It's only due to the crappy celeron :-) ? What are the minimum
> requirements to play a video with GEM?
> Is there any optimization possible, like using videos encoded with a
> lighter video codec, or something like this?
> I'm using Debian with open video drivers (ATI dropped the support for
> the laptop's video card).
>
> Thanks!

Thank you for all your advices.
Yesterday I tried to playback different codecs and formats.
With a mjpeg I had 60-70% of CPU load; Previously I tested a mpeg-2 and
the CPU load went to 90%.
In both situation the speed of the video playback was slower than
normal, even changing the fps of GEM.
I tested the patch on another laptop (core2duo with Debian) and the
video playback ran smooth with ATI proprietary drivers (fglrx) but it
ran slow with open drivers, so I think it's only a video driver problem.

--
Nicola