[PD] new object: [path] - following the example of [import]

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Thu Dec 1 17:34:10 CET 2011

On Dec 1, 2011, at 5:45 AM, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:

> hmm, my usual 2 remarks:
>
> On 2011-12-01 06:21, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>>
>> I just added a new object to Pd-extended: [path].  It allows you to append directories to the canvas-local path and have them active immediately.  Its basically [declare -path] but with the [import] interface and ability to take effect immediately.
>
> #1 do you think "path" is a good name, or will people confuse that with
> "getdir"? probably [searchpath] would be more meaningful.

I'm not stuck on the name 'path', but I do insist on consistency.  The prefs are called "Path...", the [declare] flag is called -path, and the command line arg is called -path.

> #2 how does this object relate to the quest to eliminate path settings
> alltogether? i thought "-path" is really only for nerds like me who feel
> unable to use standard paths :-)

It makes sense to be able to set a project-specific folder for libs included with the project. I've actually been thinking that we should set one more default path: a path relative to the patch for embedding libs in a standard way.  It could just be "." or it could be "abs", "lib", or something like that.

> #3 could anybody tell me why [declare] does not take immediate effect?

Check declare_new() in g_canvas.c