[PD] install Pd on ubuntu without internet; video-playback codec windows?

Andy Farnell padawan12 at obiwannabe.co.uk
Tue Dec 6 21:06:57 CET 2011

On Tue, 6 Dec 2011 14:29:31 -0500 (EST)
Mathieu Bouchard <matju at artengine.ca> wrote:

> Le 2011-12-06 à 19:51:00, IOhannes m zmoelnig a écrit :
>
> > $ dpkg -x pd.deb .
> >
> > alternatively
> > $ ar x pd.deb
> > $ tar xvzf data.tar.gz
>
> But dpkg -x doesn't run any scripts after unpacking, right ? At least,
> ar/tar does not run scripts for sure.

Most .deb packages require superuser permissions to install files
into various places like /usr/bin, /etc or /usr/lib. Those are in
the control file, use

$ dpkg -c pd.deb

to see all the places wheret content would be unpacked.

I think IOhannes refers to unpacking a Debian source package
so you can do a local build (in home directory).

Source packages can be fetched using

$ apt-get source puredata

But then why not fetch the latest source from git/svn ?

--
Andy Farnell <padawan12 at obiwannabe.co.uk>