[PD] CVs

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Wed Dec 7 21:39:37 CET 2011

On Fri, 27 May 2011, Bryan Jurish wrote:

> As far as language (or symbols) are concerned: yes, of course.  But if
> I'm reading it right, there's nothing which says that the "features"
> (which may or may not "count" as information content) rely for their
> ontological status only on their use (or non-use) in a Shannon-esque
> "message"

Shannon's information theory assumes that there is a single stream of
information that is all of à priori equal value except that unlikely
outcomes are considered more remarkable. However, to explain human
perception, you have to take into account pre-established notions of
importance of information, and what's the flow of attention-span, among a
lot more things.

(I wrote this message 6 months ago and forgot to click Send. Still trying
to exorcise myself out of this habit. In the meantime, it makes filler for
a slow week on pd-list. ;-)