[PD] Networking patches to utilize multiple cores

onyx@onyx-ashanti.com onyxashanti at gmail.com
Thu Dec 8 19:19:55 CET 2011

Greets.

Is there a proper or preferred method for using any of the networking
objects in pd-extended to allow for realtime bi-directional communication
between patches on the same computer, so as to utilize 2 or more cpu cores?
 I am currently trying to discover the best way to handle this.

i started with netsend/netrecieve and used [route] to send approximately 40
or so streams as messages, and it worked, somewhat, but I think i may have
been squeezing too much data through that one netsend as it was a bit
sluggish (running on a dual core thinkpad 1.83ghz, 3gb ram).  I am working
with 2-5ms latencies so sluggish can screw me up in performance, especially
since i havent even added 60% of the data that will be streaming from my
"messages" patch to my "signals" patch.  I am looking at
netserver/netclient  and contemplating breaking the streams up into 2 or
more clients but i wanted to see if anyone had any advice in this regard.

the goal is to have a "messages" patch that would interpret all the
incoming sensor and performance data, send it to subpatches for GEM
visualizations, interpretive synth controls and looping system parameters,
THEN, send that data to a separate patch that would house around 15 signal
object based subpatches for synthesis, looping and effects.  any status
feedback i need from the signal objects would need to be sent back to the
messages patch for processing and display, so a realtime, bi-directional
solution is very important.

 insight?

Onyx

--