[PD] number to fractions external?

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Sat Dec 17 20:23:11 CET 2011

Le 2011-12-16 à 00:52:00, Alexandre Torres Porres a écrit :

> Is there an external that converts decimal numbers to fractions, like
> 1.5 => 3 / 2 ? I bet it's complicated to do it as a vanilla patch,
> right?

Take the number, subtract its whole part to get something less than 1,
then invert it to get something bigger than 1, and repeat.

You will get a list of characteristic numbers that can be used to make
good approximations real quick by doing a+1/(b+1/(c+1/(d+1/(e+etc...))))

But unlike what this latter formula looks like, you don't even need to
keep a list containing values a b c d e etc... because there's a simple
shortcut so that you don't have to start with the innermost parentheses.

http://pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fra%C3%A7%C3%A3o_cont%C3%ADnua