[PD] [tabwrite4~], is it possible at all?

katja katjavetter at gmail.com
Sat Jan 7 17:48:04 CET 2012

On Sat, Jan 7, 2012 at 2:23 PM, Mathieu Bouchard <matju at artengine.ca> wrote:

> I don't think that [tabread4~] can be reversed so easily. I think that the
> most appropriate antialiased [tabwrite4~] would not be a mirror image of
> what [tabread4~] is.

Admittedly I did not have a clear idea of how writing at fractional
speed could be conceived. Your detailed answer helped me to
concentrate on the issues.    Thanks, Mathieu.

A [tabwrite4~] is not comparable to [tabread4~] indeed, because
writing is much more obliging than reading. Like you can read and skip
chapters in a book, but you can't publish a book with chapters or
pages missing, or print the pages over each other.

So the issue of fractional-speed-writing should really be solved as
fractional resampling. I've been experimenting with chirp z-transform
some years ago, and was surprised by the perfect interpolation which
it can do. A block of audio can be blown up alias-free to any length,
like with zero-padding but without the power-of-two ratio restriction.
Downsampling likewise. Maybe I should write it into a Pd class.
Certainly it won't be an easy job though.

Katja