[PD] Running Pd on a tiny (and cheap) computer

katja katjavetter at gmail.com
Sun Jan 8 15:14:48 CET 2012

On Sun, Jan 8, 2012 at 2:24 AM, Pierre Massat <pimassat at gmail.com> wrote:

> There's also the Dream Plug
> (http://www.plugcomputer.org/development-kits/dreamplug.html), which has a
> faster (though totally unknown to me) CPU.

According to the processor documentation it is ARMv5TE-compliant, and
there's also a Dream Plug with ARMv5 mentioned on:

http://wiki.debian.org/FreedomBox/TargetedHardware

It is not the newest generation of ARM, so it would not be comparable
to a recent tablet.

This page discusses performance comparisons of ARM versus x86:

http://vanshardware.com/2010/08/mirror-the-coming-war-arm-versus-x86/

ARM seems to perform slow with floating point, and Pd is all floating
point. An Atom based computer might be better for Pd. I have no
experience with ARM, but of Atom-based netbooks I know (also from
experience) that Pd performs reasonably well under Debian. Roughly
three times slower than a laptop, I would say.

Katja