[PD] [tabwrite4~], is it possible at all?

katja katjavetter at gmail.com
Wed Jan 11 01:15:02 CET 2012

On Tue, Jan 10, 2012 at 6:18 PM, James Fenn <geekery at jamesfenn.com> wrote:

> Have you looked at: https://ccrma.stanford.edu/~jos/resample/ ? The
> algorithm he describes sounds like what you are talking about, if I
> understand correctly. He uses a massively oversampled filter kernel
> and linearly interpolates into it at different scales to get the
> filter coefficients.

Thanks so much for pointing to this article, James.

Earlier today I was thinking about a 512 pt or so sinc table,
analogous to Pd's cosine table. The article speaks of ~13K pt
tables... Anyway, a fractional resampling method is described which is
used in several open source softwares. This is more detailed info and
example code than I dared to hope for.

Hopefully this can be translated to a Pd class [tabwritev~]. The
object shall write input samples into an array or table at fractional
speed, and it shall be able to do so in circular buffer mode. Not the
simplest of Pd classes, but it's at least worth a try.

Katja