[PD] GEM on PIII memory problem?

rolf meesters rolfmeesters at gmail.com
Mon Jan 16 18:06:40 CET 2012

Subject: Re: [PD] GEM on PIII memory problem?

> To: pd-list at iem.at

> On 2012-01-16 15:51, rolf meesters wrote:
> >
> > and now every time at a change in the rendering:
> > GL: invalid operation
>
> is that with the intel gfx card?

the PIII has onboard video

> could it be a dupe of [1]?

not as far as i can see. (i use fresh copies)
i suspect [1] has something to do with using the pd open or close 'message'
with a non-existing file.

or what does "every time at a change in the rendering" mean exactly?

every time the content of the GEM-window should change

> try to find the object that actually causes the error.
> you can use a [GEMglReportError] that will output a warning if an error
> was raised since the last time any instance of [GEMglReportError] was
> called (the error state is also reset inside [gemwin] during each
> render-cycle..which is what causes the message to appear)

it's not clear to me how to use this object, there's no help.
connecting the inlet with a loadbang causes Pd/GEM to quit immediately.
leaving the object by itself, with a print on the first outlet, gives
nothing.

i tried to use more then 16 k for the VideoRam: this also causes Pd/GEM to
quit at rendering the first picture.

just now i found in the system message.log after the crash:
 pdextended[1702]: segfault at 0 ip (null) sp bfcc1acc error 4 in
libpulse.so.0.12.2[110000+40000]

doing it again:

pdextended[2045]: segfault at 0 ip (null) sp bfb87f3c error 4 in
libasound.so.2.0.0[110000+c3000]

going back to the default VideoRam (= no changes made by me)

pdextended[1431]: segfault at 0 ip (null) sp bfe1aecc error 4 in
libICE.so.6.3.0[110000+15000]

should i make a bug report on this? (i'm on Pd-ext 42.5 with GEM 92.3)

rolf