[PD] how to tidy up patches ?

Jonathan Wilkes jancsika at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 20 00:10:57 CET 2012

----- Original Message -----

By understanding "complex patches" as "lots of objects that take up
lots of screen real estate" you gloss over commonly needed idioms that
look messy because of the constraints that Pd forces on the user.  Three
examples are:

1) a storage value at the bottom of the chain that needs to be fed from the top of the
chain before the chain itself gets triggered.
2) an output at the bottom of the chain needs to feed back into an object at the top
or middle of the chain
3) both #1 and #2 happening in the same chain.

An example of #3 is attached.  I hope you will agree that wires in the leftmost chain
are messy and hard to follow.

The middle chain resolves ambiguities at the expense visual noise-- the placement
of the [t a] objects distract from the chain and in fact create an ostensible
secondary-chain whose area is unnecessarily large for its function.  And what is
its function?  Why, it is not to pass the values through unchanged-- which is
redundant because that's what wires do in the first place-- rather, it's function is to
break one line segment into two segments!  So actually, we already have segmented
patch cords in Pd-- they just always happen to be accompanied by an unnecessary
and distracting "b" or "t a" enclosed in a rectangle.

The rightmost example is the clearest to me.  Of course others may think
differently but it is at *least* as clear as the middle example (with the added benefit that
there is only one vertical chain of objects).  Plus here we have different line styles
(Bezier-curved vs. straight) to easily distinguish the difference between the overlapping
chains (which you don't get with the middle example).

I've left out the possibility of using a [s] [r] pair for such a common idiom because
a) if this is to be a reusable chain you have to use a $0 prefix, which is ugly, and b) even
using $0 doesn't guarantee locality (if elsewhere in the patch you have another chain with
a [s] [r] pair for the same functionality, you have to give it a different symbolic name, so
you're back where you started, having to rely on your memory to avoid name collisions).*

-Jonathan

* and the reply of "then it needs to be an abstraction" doesn't really work, because there
are plenty of situations where, for example, you may need two [until] objects in the same
chain-- furthermore, if one is placed in a subpatch as the OP suggests, memory comes
in to play to avoid name clashes...