[PD] how to tidy up patches ?

Jonathan Wilkes jancsika at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 20 03:13:49 CET 2012

Sure.  That's preferable to my example on the left, and clearly inferior to both the middle and right examples.

Why inferior?

* (biggest) you break up the hot inlet flow into two separate units, making it harder to scan

* visually emphasize an empty space
* have to follow horizontal lines twice to visually complete the path of the hot inlet data flow
* the lower horizontal line *will* create an ambiguity on Pd Vanilla
The point of my post is that the limitations of Pd do not in any way guide the user toward the
most readable solution.  While you have found a fairly readable solution within the constraints,
I find it inferior to my theoretical example made without those constraints.  If one agrees, then
it should be obvious that the limitations of Pd don't allow optimal readability.  If one disagrees,
then at least I've made it obvious that segmented patch cords do not in any way lead to
esoteric-looking, nor complicated, patches.  (And if one believes they do then using [t a] or [pd]
just for segmented patch cords must be avoided, too.)

-Jonathan