[PD] [PD-announce] Language Design / Conlang: do you know any examples in Sound Art or Arts in general?

massimiliano samsa puredatamassimiliano at gmail.com
Sat Jan 21 14:11:49 CET 2012

Hi, I'm going to do a project of language design for the Sound Design
course of of my Art School.
*Language Design* is the creation of an artificial language like it
happens, for example, for the aliens of some sc-fi movies. (Famous examples
are the aliens in District 9 and Chewbecca in Star Wars (of course ;)). It
is also called "conlang" (constructed language).
The final work should be some kind of a "speaking installation", where the
speech generated is an artificial language interacting with the audience.

My plans are to collect a database of sounds/phonems from human speeches of
different languages, in addiction to synthetic sounds, and find a way to
re-arrange them on the fly when triggered by an interaction with the
audience, in order to create "sentences".

*Besides the technical sides, my main focus now is to know examples of
artificial language design in Sound Art or Arts in general.*

No videogames or films involved ;)

Any help or suggestion is much appreciated!!

Max