[PD] Dynamic creation of canvas : am I mad???

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Sun Jan 22 16:17:34 CET 2012

Le 2012-01-22 à 13:30:00, i go bananas a écrit :

> what's the deal with dynamic patching these days?  it was always just a
> 'use at your own risk' type of affair, which was never guaranteed to
> work.  Has it graduated to being a legitimate practice?

Much of Pd is « Use at your own risk ». The fact is that way too few
things in Pd are labelled as part of the official interface (API), and
many of the things that are labelled as « WARNING, MAY CHANGE OVERNIGHT »
already have coagulated into something that people rely on and need to
stay the same.

So it's not a matter of time, it's just a matter of who you ask.

But even notwithstanding the risk of changing API, it's still a good idea
to encapsulate dynamic patching into easy-to-understand units, instead of
blending it with everything else. That's why [initbang] can be important,
for example, and that's one reason why it's a bad idea to use pd-vanilla.