[PD] translation activity

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Sun Jan 22 21:35:52 CET 2012

transifex is a great place to start, post here with any questions.  We're all learning it.  But so far, I've found it straightforward except for a couple small things with the navigation.

.hc

On Jan 22, 2012, at 12:33 PM, Björn Eriksson wrote:

> Hello Hans-Christoph!
> Sorry for not getting back to you before now...
> 1st: thanks for explaining!  Now it´s clear about what´s the translation activities are about!
> 2nd: I think what might be possible is to start with a transifex translation work - and from there see how things go
> 3rd:  Yeah... Floss manuals would be great to translate. I think all these things will be a matter of available time. I will start with the transifex soon I hope!
>
> I might give you a question or two if there is some things around the transifex that i dont get.
>
> All the best,
> Björn
>
> 2012/1/18 Hans-Christoph Steiner <hans at at.or.at>
>
> Hey Björn,
>
> Right now, I'm just talking about translating the interface of Pd itself.  It would be great to also translate the learning materials and even help patches too, that's a much bigger question.
>
> For translating Pd's interface, just create an account in Transifex and edit the translation file, or create a new one if your language isn't there.  That's pretty straightforward, you'll see a list of all the English words and phrases used in the interface, and next to it you write the translation:
>
> https://www.transifex.net/projects/p/puredata/
>
> For documentation, I don't know much about tools for helping translate prose, but I do know that the FLOSS Manuals site is well setup to host translations.  So perhaps a good place to start would be to make a translation of the Pure Data manual there.  And of course, if you find things you should update in the English version, please go ahead and update them as you see fit:
>
> http://en.flossmanuals.net/PureData/
>
> As for the help patches, that's a harder question right now because we don't have a way to host help patches of multiple languages.  It would be a matter of replacing all the help patches included in Pd-extended with your translated ones.  I suppose that could be scripted so it wouldn't be hard to do.  Ideally, someone will add localization support to pd patches, then each help patch could contain multiple languages.
>
> .hc
>
> On Jan 18, 2012, at 6:49 AM, Björn Eriksson wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>> sending this offlist as I am so bad updated on the status of the translation works in general for Pd. As I am regulary holding Pure Data courses here in Sweden, then I have more than twice been thinking it would be good to start some translation works for Swedish... but at same time I am not interested to start something that seems too complicated and troublesome. So I have some basic questions you might answer...
>>
>> 1. How is the translation implemented.
>> 2. Is it mainly the help pd files that the translation are for
>> 3. Will it be possible to invite other contributors for the translations (into swedish)
> [...]

You can't steal a gift. Bird gave the world his music, and if you can hear it, you can have it. - Dizzy Gillespie