[PD] precision of vline~ and/or pd messaging

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Wed Jan 25 10:18:11 CET 2012

On Wed, Jan 25, 2012 at 09:56:11AM +0100, João Pais wrote:
>> Ah, and I see in addition to your message you wrote vline~ in the
>> title! Oops.
>>
>> I don't know what click2bang~ does-- is it aligning its bangs to block
>> boundaries?  That's just a guess.
>
> better to leave it to the author to describe it
> (http://www.somasa.qub.ac.uk/~elyon/LyonSoftware/Pd/):
>
> samm~ sample accurate multiple metronomes, with click signal articulation
> click2bang~ Convert click trigger to a bang
>
> according to the author, putting these 2 objects in a row gives a very
> precise metro.
>

> and here a link to a thread with iohannes and lyon:
> http://markmail.org/message/7usetdchjlqyk3eu#query:+page:1+mid:7usetdchjlqyk3eu+state:results

Actually it's Frank and Eric. :) The thread still sums up what's important
here: It's not necessary to use Eric's objects in Pd. They may be useful in
Max/MSP and they provide some nice functionality besides accuracy, but the
accuracy you get with vline~ and Pd's clock objects (metro, delay, etc.)
already is subsample-exact, so it's fine for many cases and as good as what you
get with [samm~] and relatives. Just use [metro].

Ciao
--
 Frank Barknecht            Do You RjDj.me?          _ ______footils.org__