[PD] OT: faster than Fourier transform

Charles Henry czhenry at gmail.com
Wed Jan 25 23:16:32 CET 2012

On Wed, Jan 25, 2012 at 4:03 PM, Mathieu Bouchard <matju at artengine.ca> wrote:
> Le 2012-01-20 à 23:55:00, Andy Farnell a écrit :
>

>> Considering the paper is unpublished and sparse decomposition is a pretty
>> heavy topic I thought that is a really nice bit of science journalism by
>> Larry Hardesty. Since periodic music signals probably fit the bill quite
>> well it's good news for our kind of work.
>

> Does it have better upper bounds ?
>
> If not, it doesn't change much for realtime.
>
> E.g. if I feed something somewhat like a white noise to this FFT, what
> exactly will it try skipping ? Every harmonic will be fairly nonzero.

I've wondered about that too-from a perceptual point of view.  There's
not much differentiation among noise signals.  They all mostly sound
the same

Even though there's a very large number of dimensions for variation,
they must have a sparse representation somewhere (in the brains...
brains...)

but the FFT?  no way...