[PD] OT: faster than Fourier transform

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Wed Jan 25 23:22:31 CET 2012

Le 2012-01-25 à 23:10:00, Pedro Lopes a écrit :

> If I didn't get it wrong: I think they mention the "premise" is
> the opposite of white noise, thus signals do not exhibit the behavior of
> white noise (spread out through all spectrum).

I'm just stating a worst case. No one would bother analysing a white
noise. But if I analyse speech that contains shhh sounds, or if I analyse
music that has a snare drum, the analyser might have trouble. Even if I
play a chord on a fuzz guitar, as fuzz greatly increases the number of
harmonics, especially if the pre-fuzz signal has low freqs. There are
plenty of interesting signals that contain lots of harmonics.

> Once again, its just a tool, and tools are useful for certain cases, and
> not useful for other cases. Like the hammer.

The hammer is a great analyser. It helps take things apart. I can use it
to analyse sounds. It's easy, I just have to threaten a music student with
it, and the music student will then produce the desired output.