[PD] Apply missing

Jonathan Wilkes jancsika at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 27 18:21:42 CET 2012

----- Original Message -----

Yep.  All the iemguis are resizable with a little anchor that appears when the object
is selected.  Very handy.

> I should finally get to releasing something useful form the tkwidgets
> lib, since that also includes resizing with a handle.

Right, I remember that when I tried them.  To make them useful is difficult, though,
because iemguis have (rightly) set a precedent that gui objects can integrate
naturally into a normal object chain.  For example, it's not uncommon to find a [tgl]
deep inside a subpatch somewhere and my friend running pd -nogui can still
run my program.  Or the user having a little UI subpatch that pops up or gets
hidden as needed-- if you depend on the actual tk widget to exist in order for its
properties to get set, then the user will get an error if for example they try to
change its size or placement when it's not vis'd.  So I guess on the one hand it's
nice to separate gui from pd, but on the other you don't want to force the user
to care about implementation details like, "when a subpatch closes and no one
can see its contents, does it _really_ have a slider inside there?"  If the answer is
yes for pd-ish methods and no for tk/gui-related methods, things start to get
tricky.

-Jonathan