[PD] [expr $f1 if...] bug?

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Tue Jan 31 21:25:09 CET 2012

Le 2012-01-31 à 11:15:00, Jonathan Wilkes a écrit :
>> From: Mathieu Bouchard <matju at artengine.ca>
>> [#outer == (1 5 9 13 17 21 25 29 33 37 41 45)]
>> |
>> [# * (1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12)]
>> |
>> [#unpack 12]
> This is where Pd users suffer.
> 1) Type "||||||||||||"
> 2) Notice how long it takes and how your wrist feels
> 3) Make 12 connections from [#unpack 12] to some message boxes.
> 4) Notice how long it takes and how your wrist feels

I'm not actually advocating that type of solution. GridFlow is generally
designed so that you put just one wire instead of N wires because you
connect to just one object instead of N. This is done by grouping similar
computations together in a kind of batch processing. It's a principle that
comes from vector math (but extends well beyond vector-space theory).

The principle can't be used all of the time. e.g. there's no way to use it
with signals ; but there are also a lot of cases in the message domain for
which it's impractical. I focus on the cases where it helps. It's not just
shorter for the wrist or in time to write, it's also shorter in effort of
reading, and in effort of modifying.

For this case, it depends on what happens after [#unpack 12]. You could do
away with [#unpack 12] and use [#to_l] or [#to_literal] or something else.