[PD] Equal-power crossfade?

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Mon Feb 6 18:22:33 CET 2012

On Mon, Feb 06, 2012 at 09:29:33AM -0500, Jaime Oliver wrote:
> Here's an argument for plain linear crossfade.
> I get power "boosts" with cosine crossfades...

Your example is a bit broken (there is no panning going on at all), but I get
the same result with a the fixed version or with [e_pan] in
the rj library when adding left and right signal together and taking the RMS.

The "boost in the center" is to be expected: In the center with CP-panning,
left and right channels both are multiplied by about 0.707 instead of 0.5 with
a linear pan, so adding them together will make the center louder.
Perception-wise this results in the signal appearing nearer to you than with
linear panning, which is the reason this is used: With CP-panning the signal will
appear to move around you in a constant circle whereas with linear panning it will
move farther away from you as it gets to the center, it will move as if on an oval.

Avoiding this kind of movement is the motivation for CP-panning.

Ciao
--
 Frank Barknecht            Do You RjDj.me?          _ ______footils.org__