[PD] Thoughts in conclusion of the 4th Pure Data Convention

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Sat Feb 11 19:01:24 CET 2012

Le 2012-02-08 à 04:50:00, Max a écrit :

> FUNDING: Getting the necessary funding was certainly the issue I
> personally spent the most time on. We had an overall budget of around
> 17.000 EUR. [...] That budget is less than a third of what the
> convention in Montréal had available.

It's easy to spend a lot less money when not funding the participants'
travel. I mean that for a fair comparison, your non-travel budget of 2011
should be compared to the non-travel budget of 2007.

The 2007 convention had a very large number of overseas participants and
paid 350 EUR of plane ticket fees for _each_ participant who wasn't
already funded by other means.

Despite that, IIRC, the total cost was a lot less than the 1st Convention,
but I don't have actual numbers to show for comparison.

> EXPENSES:  We spent most of the budget supporting our participants. The
> biggest expense there was covering for the accomodation,

In the 2nd convention, there was almost no budget for accomodation. Hôtel
was paid for just one person, and everybody else got free accomodation
sharing apartments with volunteers. This made the cost of accomodation
something about 2 % of the total cost of the convention (but I don't have
actual figures).

> Frankly I've been a bit surprised that the average age wasn't a bit
> lower. This certainly has implications on how to accommodate the guests
> in the future (youth hostel, again?),

I don't know how comfortable those hostels are, but access to actual homes
for 0,- EUR is hard to beat.