[PD] Thoughts in conclusion of the 4th Pure Data Convention

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Sun Feb 12 17:09:32 CET 2012

On Feb 12, 2012, at 11:02 AM, Mathieu Bouchard wrote:

> Le 2012-02-12 à 11:31:00, IOhannes m zmölnig a écrit :
>
>> a thought from a participant (and i guess that i'm among those raising the average age): while i very much enjoyed staying in private accomodation in mtl, i think it is even nicer for the participants to "team up" and live together (whether its youth hostel or hilton is only a question of budget)
>> the convention does not finish after the last concert, nor does it start with the first lecture.
>
> That's especially where private home accomodation is most flexible, if you're not too shy to ask for a special case. It's not like you couldn't have had extra days before and/or after. That's not something that you can do easily with a big space that has been reserved from day A to day B. I'm sure that it would have been easy to get extra days. I did give extra days to several people in my home.
>
>> however, a big drawback of this scheme (for which i haven't found a solution yet), is that the locals are kind of kept out of the fun (at least that was my impression when we did it in graz and all of you were doing party in the nunnery while we were busy trying to keep things running)
>
> AFAIR, there was no party in the nunnery. We were all very tired from trying to stay awake 19 hours per day or something. The partying was always somewhere else and then we walked back to the nunnery. The time spent all together in the nunnery was the included breakfast in the morning.

That's my memory of it too.  Plus that place was tomb-silent, I felt already bad enough coming into a nunnery at 3am after drinking ;)

If nature has made any one thing less susceptible than all others of exclusive property, it is the action of the thinking power called an idea, which an individual may exclusively possess as long as he keeps it to himself; but the moment it is divulged, it forces itself into the possession of everyone, and the receiver cannot dispossess himself of it.            - Thomas Jefferson