[PD] Pd extended 0.43-1 nightly missing tk dependency on ubuntu 11.10 (Oneiric)

John Harrison johnharrisonwsu at gmail.com
Wed Feb 15 01:11:17 CET 2012

How many people would chose to use ubuntu Oneiric, use a pre-built binary
for Pd-extended, AND not have X? I would hope that small group would
reconsider using Oneiric for something a bit more streamlined and would
likely be compiling their own minimalist Pd --- certainly not Pd-extended.

I could more easily except the answer of leaving it as "Recommends" if Pd
did not use X by default or at least if it returned an error message (in an
X window if run from an X window) describing the missing dependency.

While one probably exists, I know of no other pre-built binaries in ubuntu
which intentionally are missing dependencies preventing them from running
in their default modes. Pd's default is to use X.

I think vlc might get around this by having a separate vlc-nox binary? If
we really have to have binaries for ubuntu that don't depend on tk, I'd
recommend that route.

-John