[PD] import and search paths - 0.43 on debian

Lorenzo Sutton lorenzofsutton at gmail.com
Wed Feb 15 09:14:45 CET 2012

On 14/02/12 18:49, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
> On Feb 14, 2012, at 10:17 AM, Lorenzo Sutton wrote:
>
>> I know this has probably often been debated but...
>>
>> I can't seem to understand the logic for which [import] fails with an error e.g.:
>>
>> [import]: ERROR: can't load library in monlib
>>
>> and doesn't for others.
>>
>> This is on debian with libraries installed from respective packages, and are all in /usr/lib/pd/extra
>>
>> I may be missing something about the behaviour of [import] but the apparently herratic behaviour makes understanding this hard.
>>
>> Of course all the libs could be imported by prefixing them such as [osc/packOSC] but then opening the help patch won't find [udpsend] which should then be [iemnet/udpsend] etc. having a single [import iemnet osc] would make much more sense. If it worked.
> You can include all the libraries you want in a single import statement, that's the preferred way to do it, i.e. [import moonlib motex Gem osc]
>
> Now that you've fixed the typo, what's the error?

As I said this seems to be erratic - at least to me for the moment - so
for moonlib specifically e.g.

[import]: ERROR: can't load library in moonlib

Same goes e.g. for osc.

On the other hand if I try to import Gem [import Gem] it works.

One interesting thing i "discovered" for the errors mentioned above is
that if I also import (before) libdir they work. Maybe this is the
requirement I wasn't understanding about the import process?

[import libdir moonlib osc]

gives:
libdir loader 1.9
     compiled on Jul 21 2011 at 03:17:08
     compiled against Pd version 0.43.0.
[import] loaded library: libdir
[import] loaded library: moonlib
[import] loaded library: osc

Ciao
Lorenzo.
PS: BTW I wouldn't have started a thread based on a single error with a
typo  although I can see it might have been misleading ;)