[PD] Patching in fragments

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Thu Feb 16 16:00:11 CET 2012

On Jan 8, 2010, at 1:31 PM, Jonathan Wilkes wrote:

> Cool.  When I use the keyboard shortcut "o", something seems different
> about [osc~] but I can't quite put my finger on it (see attached) :)
>
> Is there a way for the Tcl plugin to tell pd to use the key bindings only
> in editmode,

yup, use ::editmode($::focused_window) to get the editmode of the window that has focus.

> and only when there isn't an active cursor in an object or
> message box?

Hopefuilly possible, but haven't looked into it.

> Also, can the Tcl plugin do things like dangle the object
> from the mouse pointer (without using the mouse message hack)

Yes, should be possible, just check the code that Put -> Object uses to do it.

> and remove
> the object (without the cut message hack)?

I don't know the cut message hack.

.hc

> The behavior I'm after is this:
> 1) click the shortcut key and the object fragment dangles from the
> mouse(or it gets put on the canvas and is selected).
> 2) if the same key is pressed again, that object is removed and the next
> object fragment associated with that key dangles from the mouse (or gets
> put on the canvas, selected).
> 3) if a different shortcut key is pressed, the fragment gets put on the
> canvas (unselected) and the new fragment dangles from the mouse.
>
> I can get that behavior in my abstraction, but it messes with the
> clipboard data, plus it's dangerous because if you have part of your
> patch selected and you hit a shortcut key that part of the patch is lost
> (and you can't undo it!).
>
> -Jonathan

"Making boring techno music is really easy with modern tools, but with live coding, boring techno is much harder." - Chris McCormick