[PD] floating-point question

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Mon Feb 20 17:04:50 CET 2012

Le 2012-02-20 à 11:03:00, Lorenzo Sutton a écrit :

> Careful, though, if you convert it back to 32 or 16 bit.
> Especially if you are using expensive gear:
> http://www.around.com/ariane.html

It's not just converting to lesser number of bits. I'd also think that
they converted it to int16 (similar to the format of wav files). The
float16 format didn't exist back then, and is still not supported by
hardware outside of graphics cards of the 2000's.

Also, they got an overflow and not a lack of precision. Lack of precision
doesn't matter when you get an overflow. Overflow also doesn't matter when
the number is used for entirely the wrong thing.