[PD] [PD-announce] old editing features of Pd-extended 0.43

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Tue Feb 21 04:51:33 CET 2012

Thanks for your email, I always find it interesting to hear people's perspectives.  I'm happy to see more people getting involved in development, so that means we can have more things like zooming interfaces. :-)  Tcl/Tk can do zooming just fine, by the way ;-)

.hc

On Feb 20, 2012, at 3:56 PM, Scott R. Looney wrote:

> well, speaking as a new member of the list and a very budding PD user coming from last using Max 5.1 i am happy with any incremental steps making the interface more usable. i do realize that usability can be a subjective term, but even simply paving the way for more options is an excellent start.
>
> i don't believe i saw HC attempting to claim sole credit for the work he does every day on creating a more balanced release of on top of others hard work. his whole focus to me seems to be how to improve things and move PD forward both in terms of stability and usability/flexibility.
>
> personally i have some gripes - i'm not enthusiastic about the look of Tcl/Tk apps in general - they are too blocky with no apparent ability for alpha channeling in the gui. i think Juce comes closer for me. i would love the ability to zoom in on patches. i use this feature all the time when in Max 5.1. i think not being able to pass the { and } characters without a somewhat convoluted workaround REALLY holds PD back from interacting with Javascript or most scripting languages in a way friendly a newbie.
>
> in spite of all that, i see real progress behind the scenes with PD-extended, and i have no doubt that it will continue to move in a direction that will offer more flexibility and usability down the road using the input from as many users as who wish to participate. i don't see HC as claiming to have reinvented the PD gui but it's lot of work corralling many different extended efforts, keeping track of changes, and answering the majority of tech questions that comes across the list, and i am grateful to him and everyone else who contributes time and effort to making PD better for newbies and more flexible for pros.
>
> scott
>
> On Mon, Feb 20, 2012 at 11:30 AM, Roman Haefeli <reduzent at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 2012-02-20 at 10:36 -0800, Jonathan Wilkes wrote:

"Free software means you control what your computer does. Non-free software means someone else controls that, and to some extent controls you." - Richard M. Stallman