[PD] C++ for reusable dsp lib - or better use C?

katja katjavetter at gmail.com
Tue Feb 21 16:36:10 CET 2012

Hello,

I'd like to know opinions from experienced developers about the use of
C versus C++ for dsp libs.

I'm planning to write a compact library with audio analysis functions,
to be used with Pd in the first place, but meant to be portable to
other real time dsp frameworks. This project will contain several
routines which must share one interface to Pd, and C++ will be most
convenient for it. I've used C and C++ for Pd classes before, and both
seem to work properly and efficient. But I lack experience to know on
beforehand if there is some disadvantage of using C++ for a reusable
dsp library. This will be my first. Quite some dsp libs are written in
C, even today. Is there good reason to refrain from C++'s conveniences
for writing classes, and use C instead?

Katja