[PD] C++ for reusable dsp lib - or better use C?

august august at alien.mur.at
Wed Feb 22 19:21:49 CET 2012

> > Hi Katja,
> >
> > You might want to have a look at a language called Vala:
> >
> >        https://live.gnome.org/Vala
>

> Thanks for the link, August. Do you happen to use Vala yourself? I'll
> definitely take a deeper look into it.

Yes, I even wrote an interface file for libpd so you can use libpd to load and
control pd patches from within vala.

It is part of a larger experimental project I've been working on and have meant
to post here.  It's called the Underweb.  You can read about it here:

	http://underweb.info/

Vala allows me to experiment much much faster than C or even C++. It has a lot
of great features like anonymous and asynchronous functions.    It also gives
me use of all the fantastic free software libs written for GNOME, but are too
hairy to use in C directly.   Benchmarks even show that with -O3 optimization
at the gcc compile stage, programs in Vala are faster than C++ in most areas.

Supposedly, there is even a way to compile it so that GLib and Gobject are not
dependencies, but I haven't looked into that.

-august.

--
http://aug.ment.org
GPG: 0A8D 2BC7 243D 57D0 469D  9736 C557 458F 003E 6952