[PD] C++ for reusable dsp lib - or better use C?

august august at alien.mur.at
Wed Feb 22 19:25:34 CET 2012

> >It's an OOP language ( looks like  C#) that compiles down to OOP C.
>
> BTW, early C++ compilers also used to compile to C, but that feature
> was «removed» long ago. Nearly none of the well-known compilers have
> ever implemented it. I think that C++ was mostly compiled this way
> from 1979 until approx 1987, long before I ever heard of it, and
> before nearly anyone had heard of it.

That's too bad because it's a great feature to have.

The GObject method is pretty clever.  It allows you to abstract objects in an
XML format.  Then, based on those abstractions, you can introspect them for
their behaviour and link them into almost any language.

I wonder how difficult it would be to do something like that with PD's object
system?

--
http://aug.ment.org
GPG: 0A8D 2BC7 243D 57D0 469D  9736 C557 458F 003E 6952