[PD] sigmund list sort

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Fri Feb 24 19:26:54 CET 2012

Le 2012-02-24 à 09:02:00, Frank Barknecht a écrit :
> On Sat, Feb 18, 2012 at 01:14:22PM -0500, Mathieu Bouchard wrote:
>> the [list-sort] abstraction uses a high-constant O(n²) algorithm that
>> breaks once you try to sort more than 125 values.
> Actually [list-sort] since quite some time uses the "sort" method borrowed from
> Pd's data-structures for sorting.

I have Pd-extended 42.5 that contains Michał Seta's sort, which used to be
cubic (O(n³)) and with even lower sorting limits, until I made you replace
the O(n²) [list-drip] that used O(n) stack, by one that runs in O(n) and
uses O(log n) stack.

I don't know any more recent version of list-abs.

> The problem here is not so much the sorting algorithm, which is very
> fast and can sort way more than 125 items.

Indeed, it's a slow version of mergesort written using linkedlists in C,
which is still faster than nearly anything one could possibly come up with
in pure Pd.

> However copying the list to a data structure and back - this currently
> indeed has a problem with stack-overflows, as I'm now aware. Have to
> think about a fix ...

Make sure that your algos take less than O(n) stack space... If it's not a
125 element limit, it's 500 or 1000, and it can't get higher without
recompiling Pd to be more indulgent.