[PD] C++ for reusable dsp lib - or better use C?

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Fri Feb 24 23:56:41 CET 2012

Le 2012-02-22 à 20:47:00, Krnk Ktz a écrit :

> Sorry, I'm no professional programmer (I don't think i'm even good at
> it!) but it seems like you are describing a Turing Machine, which
> includes every programming language.

Well... no. I'm talking about Imperative languages, which is a very broad
category of languages that includes almost all languages in common use.
That category includes executables, ASM, C, C++, Perl/Python/Ruby/Lua,
Tcl, shell scripts, Java/C#, and even PureData.

Turing Machines are also in Imperative languages, but nearly all other
Imperative languages are based on the idea of Von Neumann machine instead
(in which the tape memory is replaced by the concept of RAM). This idea is
refined differently by each language to structure the manner in which RAM
is used and thought of. Almost no languages are based directly on the idea
of Turing Machine.

Turing Equivalence doesn't mean every programming language is a Turing
Machine, it means that every sufficiently complete programming language is
able to express the same computations as every other sufficiently complete
programming language. It doesn't say how fast it can possibly run, nor how
short the programme is, nor how hard it was to write it.
Turing-completeness is really just concerned with whether it's possible to
compute a given thing at all with a given language.

> What matters is how you organise your code, how you think your program.
> In the end, it will actually be the same - both C and C++ build to ASM.
> However, C++ forces you to think of objects while C doesn't: that's
> another way of thinking and therefore another paradigm.

C++ does not actually force you to do anything with objects. It's designed
for seamless transition from C (unlike Java, for example, which does
enforce objects). Therefore you can compile C programmes almost as-is,
with occasional search-and-replace for minor details.

C++ introductory books might teach you to do everything with objects and
with <fstream> and teachers might forbid you from using printf() so that
you use <fstream>, but that's all ideology. The compiler has little
opinion about the shape of your programmes apart from whether it compiles
and detecting some gotchas that are actual bugs. For mistakes that aren't
clearly mistakes, the compiler will just let you learn.

> That's how I have always seen languages: they try to help you to write
> programs like you think them. Every language brings you new ways of
> thinking programs. It seems also illogical to me to try thinking in a
> way which is not the one your tool does.

The language is quite bad at preventing you from thinking in different
ways, and sometimes it's quite bad at preventing you from writing in
different ways. Structuring programmes in an OOP way is sometimes simply
the best way of writing a C programme using C techniques. There is no hard
barrier between the two, hardly a paradigm shift at all. C++ was created
as a preprocessor for writing code that would have otherwise been OOP in C
already, for use by people who expanded on the concept of Structured
Programming in the same manner that people nowadays expand on the concept
of OOP.