[PD] choosing your language at launch WAS: Japanese Pure Data book is out now.

András Murányi muranyia at gmail.com
Sat Feb 25 17:59:17 CET 2012

On Fri, Feb 24, 2012 at 22:56, Hans-Christoph Steiner <hans at at.or.at> wrote:

> I was updating pd-extended.git, so I threw in the new Japanese
> translation :-).  I'll be sure to update it one last time before the
> final release, so you can test it in a real build.
>
> I'm all for choice with the language of the app, but it seems to me that
> is something that the OS should handle.  So anyone who set their system
> language to English will get Pd-extended in English.  For those who want
> some mix of languages, then there is no standard technique that I know
> of, and how you do it varies on each OS.  If someone wants to code this
> for Pd-extended, patches are welcome.

If you want the *whole* app to change language, I'm pretty sure it will
need to be restarted. Then I guess an equivalent of "export LANG" can be
issued from tcl (and/or C?) at startup. (Could someone with the knowledge
confirm/correct this plz?)
If it's enough to change the translatable strings' language, we already
have the "_" function in tcl. I have no idea how it goes on the C side.
Then I guess instead of restarting, it's possible to redraw the GUI (?).
I'd be happy to code into this when I know more.

András