[PD] C++ for reusable dsp lib - or better use C?

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Sun Feb 26 19:05:38 CET 2012

Le 2012-02-22 à 13:51:00, Jonathan Wilkes a écrit :

> It looks old and unmaintained, and I doubt it supports the newest
> version of Qt which has introduced the graphics view stuff

What's the graphics view stuff ?

>> If Qtcl works well, it could be a possible path for speeding up the GUI, by
>> replacing Tk entirely, but keeping Tcl (which is easier than changing everything
>> at once). But there are other paths (the ones I suggested recently).
>
> The only other path I remember is patching Tk to make it more efficient,
> but you still wouldn't get zooming with that.

I also mentioned the use of binary protocols, but it depends how much the
binary protocol removes the Tcl dependency. A light use of binary elements
means efficiently cutting the stream into Tcl commands to be run, and also
ability to transmit raw data (array coords, images) at higher speed. But
if that path is followed further, then... well, there are dozens of
possible ways of making things more modular and it's not necessary to
enumerate every possible way of doing so.

Tk zooming can be achieved using a TkCanvas wrapper that filters all
coordinates. I'd use poe.tcl and follow a structure similar to Chun's
TkZinc wrapper experiment and «def Canvas item» at once.