[PD] save search path 0.43 OSX

Jonathan Wilkes jancsika at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 27 18:22:04 CET 2012

----- Original Message -----

Here is (maybe) a related issue:
* patch a.pd has abstraction [foo/prop_dialog]
* patch b.pd has abstraction [bar/prop_dialog]

I send "vis 1" message to pd-prop_dialog.pd and both foo/prop_dialog and bar/prop_dialog
will pop up.  How do I vis just foo/prop_dialog?

So just use [sendcanvas] or [namecanvas] or whatever.  But let's say I've got an abstraction
[foo/sosc~] that scales its output based on its (x,y) vicinity to other instances of itself
in the patch.  So I broadcast a message to pd-sosc~.pd to get all the x,y positions, but this
will send to bar/sosc~, too.

Sorry for the obscure example, but I think it's important for abstractions to have some way
of accessing "class-wide" data-- like this:

[receive pd-someabstraction.pd]

[route echo]

[route our_shared_float]

| [42, bang(  <-- let's change and tell all our siblings the shared float
|/
[v $0-count]

[prepend echo our_shared_float]

[list trim]

[send pd-someabstraction.pd]

All abstraction can now get the shared float to [v $0-count], but we'll be leaking it
to any other abstraction in the global namespace that happens to have the name we
gave to our abstraction.  Registering the abstraction's name as pd-foo/someabstraction.pd
would fix this, but I'm not sure what side effects this would cause.

-Jonathan