[PD] Mac OS X/PowerPC builds needed

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Mon Feb 27 20:44:05 CET 2012

IOhannes is also the "central point of failure" for a lot of Pd.  There is only so much on person can do, so I figure its good to spread the work around :-)

As for running this box, as long as its online, I can easily maintain it.  Someone local just needs to be able to keep it booted up and connected to the internet.

.hc

On Feb 27, 2012, at 2:32 PM, Greg Pond wrote:

> I will check the specs on my machines and get back to you soon. We have several surplus g4 and g5 towers here. IOhannes has a lot more knowledge and experience than I do so if he wants to do it then I am happy to turn it over to him- whatever is the best to keep the builds going.
>
> Greg
>
> On Mon, Feb 27, 2012 at 12:48 PM, Hans-Christoph Steiner <hans at at.or.at> wrote:
>
> On Feb 27, 2012, at 12:22 PM, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:

> > On 2012-02-27 02:56, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
> >>
> >> So the Mac OS X PowerPC machine from the build farm has died.  The hard drive is intact, so all the data is there.  I also have much more limited time for maintaining the PdLab machines.  So I'm looking for someone to host the Mac OS X PowerPC builds.  It can be really any recent PowerPC Mac.  The old machine was a 300MHz G4.
> >>
> >> Can anyone take this on?  I'd hate to see Mac OS X/PowerPC dropped from the supported platforms since they are still quite capable machines.
> >>

> > i think the iem could dedicate a G4 (733MHz, 750MB) machine.
> > it's currently running 10.4;
> >
> > i will have to wipe the disk first of course, but afaik it's not going
> > to be used any more.
> >
> > i was hoping for a G5, but unfortunately the only one left is very
> > unstable and won't boot every other day (and if it boots it will power
> > down for no apparent reasons after some minutes/hours)
>
> Greg Pond has also offered a machine.  Either works for me.  A 10.4 machine would be nice so we can support 10.4 too.  Basically, it just needs 10.4 and Xcode with all the updates, then Fink and JackOSX.  That's it.  If I have ssh root access, I can do the setup remotely.
>
> .hc

News is what people want to keep hidden and everything else is publicity.          - Bill Moyers