[PD] 0.43 oddities (Was Re: pdlua and tclpd: now embedded in Pd-extended 0.43)

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Tue Feb 28 04:46:41 CET 2012

On Mon, Feb 27, 2012, at 22:39, András Murányi wrote:
> Just a list of strange things I noticed running latest autobuild - on
> this
> account where Pd was never used before.
> (some of these are perhaps known or perfectly ok. Now that pd on my
> account
> is practically out of order, I'm kind of a newbie when I start it up...)
> - starts up with message: Cannot read GUI prefs file:
> "~/.config/pd-extended/recentfiles.conf"

That should be a debug message rather than an error, I'll change that.

> - "maximum object loading depth 1000 reached" message when object not
> found

What object is it trying to create when it does that?  By the way, there
is a nice new feature, you can do File -> Save As.. on the Pd window,
and it'll save the entire Pd window contents.  That's useful for
including in emails like this :)

> - there is no .pdextended file. If I'm not wrong, it's created when you
> first try to save preferences, but your preferences won't be saved.

Pd-extended will only create one when you "Save All Settings" in the
Audio Settings.

> - Before exit, if chose to save dirty new patch, an Application Error
> window appears:
>
> > Not connected to 'pd' process
> > Not connected to 'pd' process
> >     while executing
> > "error "Not connected to 'pd' process""
> >     (procedure "pdsend" line 6)
> >     invoked from within
> > "pdsend "pd watchdog""
> >     (procedure "pdtk_watchdog" line 2)
> >     invoked from within
> > "pdtk_watchdog"
> >     ("after" script)
> >
> - After quit i get this error every time:  pdsend errorname: >>error
> writing "sock6": broken pipe<<

That's an odd one, sounds like your 'pd' process is dying.  Any ideas
why?

> - Default .pdextended has no 'path' list

Yup, use the standard locations[1] or the new [path] object.
http://puredata.info/docs/faq/how-do-i-install-externals-and-help-files

> - When using 'path' in .pdextended, many, seemingly pointless (?) errors
> come up like this:

I'm no longer supporting setting the path and startup libs via the
preferences.  Anyone else is welcome to take that on.