[PD] Pd on ARM devices

Charles Henry czhenry at gmail.com
Wed Feb 29 17:29:23 CET 2012

On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 10:06 AM, Pierre Massat <pimassat at gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear List,
>
> I'm planning to buy a Raspberry Pi sometime soon, and I'd like to know the
> implications of the ARM11 chip on the use of Pd.
> I know nothing about the differences in architectures, so i'd like to know :
> - why an ARM chip would be a problem for compiling, installing and running
> Pd,

It's not a problem--Pd compiles and runs on the arm architecture.
Android devices for example have arm processors.  Debian pure data
packages are available for arm.

compilation-wise... there's some gcc options that you use to specify
arm architectures.  I'd say "nothing to it", but you'll most likely
have to play a bit to find the differences.

> - if there exists another option that's up to date (Pda seems a bit old),
> - if Libpd could be used instead (given that i only want to run Pd patches
> on the Raspberry Pi, I don't need to edit anything on it).

Don't you want to try the graphics processor on the R. Pi?  At the
very least, it should be good enough for tcl/tk.