[PD] C++ for reusable dsp lib - or better use C?

Thomas Grill gr at grrrr.org
Wed Feb 29 21:17:34 CET 2012

Hi Katja,
maybe i'm chiming in too late, but i would definitely use C++ programming for whatever i do in the C-world.
It's no problem to make the public API (exported functions) C-style then to avoid various hassles.
If your library is just a wrapper it might not be worth to live in both worlds, but if it's a substantial amount of code, i would go for C++ with a C interface.
gr~~~

Am 22.02.2012 um 02:12 schrieb katja:

> Hello Mathieu, IOhannes, Hans, Marvin,
>
> Thanks for all your informed answers.
>
> I was considering C++ just for programming comfort. I know that
> everything can be done in C but it is so clumsy for making class-like
> things. If Pd would be conceived today, would it be written in C?
>
> But indeed, C++ ABI complexities make it harder to get a C++ lib
> working always and everywhere. I've come across the MSVC/GNU
> incompatibility, but didn't know about the GNU version conflicts
> mentioned by Mathieu.
>
> So, the comfort of C++ programming and the time saved during
> development may be outweighed by troubles in deployment? I have to
> think twice... My lib should easily build and run wherever Pd runs.
>
> I started reading Axel-Tobias Schreiner's 'Object-Oriented Programming
> with ANSI-C', found via Marvin's link. The title made me enthusiastic
> for a moment. I like C. But for OOP? It's a lot of dull
> administration.
>
> Fortunately I've time to reflect a bit more on the options, this lib
> need not be written today or tomorrow. Thanks again for all the
> advice.
>
> Katja

Thomas Grill
http://grrrr.org