[PD] program for osc-rate testing?

Roman Haefeli reduzent at gmail.com
Sat Mar 3 15:54:44 CET 2012

On Sat, 2012-03-03 at 13:49 +0100, João Pais wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I wanted to test the rate/stability of the osc packages I am sending from
> Pd (around 3 packages every 40 ms) with another program outside Pd. Does
> anyone have any good sugestions for a programm (or even console utility)
> that can display the timings between the messages received on the port I'm
> sending to?
> I'm using XP and ubuntu (I guess the later one is more suited for this).
>
> I was also thinking of creating a "control tester" like a Pd patch that
> saves a click to an audio file every time a message is received. But that
> would still be inside Pd, so I don't know how precise it would be.

Do you assume it to be less precise in Pd? You could have a separate
instance of Pd for the testing suite, then it wouldn't be 'still inside
Pd'. Also, recording a click on each received message to a sound file
would definitely be possible, but wouldn't it be a bit cumbersome to
read it out? Wouldn't it be more feasible to write timestamps taken with
[timer] or [realtime] to a text file with [textfile]?

Roman