[PD] C++ for reusable dsp lib - or better use C?

katja katjavetter at gmail.com
Sat Mar 3 21:17:44 CET 2012

On Sat, Mar 3, 2012 at 6:40 PM, Mathieu Bouchard <matju at artengine.ca> wrote:
> Le 2012-03-03 à 10:32:00, katja a écrit :

> If a function is only called from a single location and the function is
> hidden, then the original function may disappear and become embedded into
> the wrapper.

Now I'm getting the picture. The original accessor functions (class
members) should be defined inline so they get inlined in their C
wrapper. Those class members must be defined in the header then, in
the class body, as the wrappers may be in another file.

> What might
> happen instead, is that a lot of code gets duplicated into the wrapper. This
> makes the executable bigger, but you still get the extra speed from inlining
> that way (for small functions).

I was thinking about simple getters and setters for single values and
for passing array pointers. Code duplication wouldn't be a problem in
that case.

Thanks.

Katja