[PD] save search path 0.43 OSX

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Sat Mar 3 21:36:59 CET 2012

Le 2012-02-27 à 18:31:00, IOhannes m zmoelnig a écrit :
> On 2012-02-27 18:22, Jonathan Wilkes wrote:
>> Sorry for the obscure example, but I think it's important for abstractions to have some way
>> of accessing "class-wide" data-- like this:
> you mean something like [1]?
> [1]
> https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=1403917&group_id=55736&atid=478072

It's related, but the need is for something that doesn't depend on the way
it's written : if [import shadok] then [shadok/gibi] and [gibi] might be
the same, but will use different receive-symbols.

But more importantly, what you suggest is for accessing all canvas-objects
that are of a same abstraction-class, which is not the same as sharing
various properties that belong to a certain abstraction-class.

I mean that the canvas-object used to make an abstraction-object is not
the same as the abstraction-object itself. The canvas-object does not
directly handle stuff that is implemented in pd, and its receive-symbols
are really about canvas-responsibilities.

So if an abstraction pretends to be a canvas using [receive] in an attempt
to extend the list of methods that the object supports, then every message
not meant for the canvas will cause « canvas: no such method ».

An abstraction-object's canvas object, even though it represents the
object itself, usually shouldn't be talked to directly from outside, as
the abstraction-class is what is supposed to know whether and how 'vis',
'coords', etc., should be used.