[PD] [OT] Music Notation in linux

Lorenzo Sutton lorenzofsutton at gmail.com
Sat Mar 3 22:54:58 CET 2012

On 03/03/12 22:18, Mathieu Bouchard wrote:
> Le 2012-02-28 à 11:42:00, Lorenzo Sutton a écrit :
>
>> I think this can be mitigated by using some gui programme which can
>> then export to lilypond. It does add an additional passage to the
>> chain but can be useful for editing the music. E.g. I have used
>> Rosegarden (which is mainly a sequencer and has the advantage of
>> playing the music).
>
> Is there any programme that can play a .ly file, using some reasonable
> expectations of what « staccato » means, et cætera ?

You can create a midi output, with all the drawbacks and benefits.
As far as I know there is no lilypond "player", but to be totally honest
I'm not sure it would make so much sense as lilypond is primarily a
music typesetting language.

The cited Rosegarden (but I'm sure other notation software too) has an
"Interpret" function which will try to do what you describe for the
'standard' dynamics and articulation

Lorenzo.