[PD] [OT] Music Notation in linux

Lorenzo Sutton lorenzofsutton at gmail.com
Mon Mar 5 09:07:09 CET 2012

On 05/03/12 01:43, Mathieu Bouchard wrote:
> Le 2012-03-03 à 22:54:00, Lorenzo Sutton a écrit :
>
>> You can create a midi output, with all the drawbacks and benefits. As
>> far as I know there is no lilypond "player", but to be totally honest
>> I'm not sure it would make so much sense as lilypond is primarily a
>> music typesetting language.
>
> Do you also mean it doesn't make much sense to use PureData for
> anything else than audio ?
No, nor I see the logic by which you assume I mean that from the above
statement.

> And computers were only meant for doing math, too.

Indeed they are.
And I don't think "math" is anything dirty, with less dignity than other
disciplines, or to be ashamed of.
Computers are very powerful, yet stupid, calculators. In fact in Italian
we still use the word "calcolatore" to address a computer. And of course
'computer' itself stems from the French "computer", and in turn from the
Latin  "computare". [1]
Saying computers are anything different is at best a (very intriguing)
fascination; at worst plain mystification.

Lorenzo.

[1] http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/computer#Etymology